Sunday 4 December 2011

Blog 17 December 4 2011

End of the Semester; A New  Mountain To Climb. 

It’s that time Christmas break the end of the semester. Hooray!! I don’t mind telling you it has not been easy. I have one more paper due on Friday and of course it will take everything for me to get it done.
This semester has been a big learning curve for me it has been hard to focus. I had so many things happening at the same time, the wedding, hospital appointments and a tremendous amount of reading to do, along with papers it has seemed like I have been doing papers.
I learned that I don’t enjoy walking with a cane especially in the snow, but the good news is and that’s why I am writing this blog tonight is ??? I finished my application for the Canadian Guide Dog School and sent it on Saturday, and now the waiting to hear from them begins. We sure miss having a dog in the house and we sure Miss Jags a lot, but hopefully things will work out.
A funny thing happened on the way to the post office, a lady stopped me and asked how long have I been blind, not a strange question since I get this all the time. I could tell by the shadow on her face she was wearing wrap round sun glasses ( normally worn by a person who is visually impaired) she began to tell me that she had an eye problem, asked where her cane was? She began to tell me that she was afraid to use it because she did not want people to stare at her, and she had some sight and was afraid of the repercussion of some people might say. I have to tell you that this is not the first time that I hear of this, and I have experienced this myself. I could hear the pain in her voice as she was talking to me, I have to tell you this conversation took place in French, and my French is not the greatest but we communicated ok, with each other. As I stood there listening to her, I got this overwhelming feeling that I was suppose to meet this person, as I call it a (Jabez moment ) 1st Chronicles 4:10 we talked for a few more moments she told me that someone was coming this week to show her the cane. I gave her my card with my cell phone number and told her to call me if she wanted someone to go out with and practice with her cane. I write this not to tell you about me, but the importunes of helping people. I thankful everyday for my wife and kids, my friends, my family because they have always been there to support me, when I lost Jags they were there to ensure that I got around until I felt comfortable enough with my cane. I don’t know if she will call me but even if she does not at least she knows that someone is there to help her if she wants it.      

So with that said I will keep everyone posted about the dog, and I will tell everyone  how this semester plays out.,and if I hear from that lady, I will keep you posted.

Until then look for your Adventures Around The Corner.    

No comments:

Post a Comment