Thursday 3 September 2015

Blog 38 Winning the Fight


September 3 2015

Blog 38 Winning the Fight

I cannot believe that it has been over a year since I wrote my last Blog! I also cannot believe I found it so hard to start writing again! Many things have happened since then as you all probably can imagine.

I literally had to try hard to get back into shape and start working with Lucky to try and get some mobility back along with my strength. I struggled just trying to grasp what had happened and although I was feeling better I still was not strong nor was I seeing the results that I was hoping to get. In fact I can say that I was sliding back I had gain more weight my body was always hurting and no matter how much I worked out  I could not lose weight in fact I could say that I gained! It became a very depressing time for me. The only salutation my doctors could give me is stay on the diet they gave me and increase my insulin and pills, it was nuts!  The viscous circle it creates  is that the more insulin you take the more you eat and the more you eat and more insulin  the weight you gain.  

I became very depressed I struggled through school. Some of the issues I was having were bloating and a lot of stomach cramps. I was having trouble with eye irritation from the computer screen which caused more headaches.  I was not doing well learning the new Jaws program I need to learn,  instructor issues.     I was having mobility issues. I struggled through the holidays and I was not looking forward to the upcoming, winter semester in the New-year. It was the last week in December Arlene and I were sitting watch television and I turned to her and told her I was not winning this FIGHT!

She looked at me and knew exactly what I meant. When we first started seeing each other t in my security school  were these words  on the wall for the student to read.  

I fight the way I Train!

 I Train the Way I need To Fight.!

I will win the Fight because I Trained!

We took some paper and started making a plan of attack. The first thing was I needed to talk with doctor about the medication to talk about  what  was working and what was not including insulin and pills.  The second was to find not a diet but a good eating plan that can be followed on a long term plan, and the best one  I was on is when I was fighting I went to see a Naturel Path who first put me on a cleans and then built a meal plan.  The next part of the plan was once I started feeling  better we address the mobility issues and then the Jaws issues. Until we could put the plan in place in the New- year I just kept clam and watched myself.

AS January 2015 rolled in I had my first doctor’s appointment and for the first time we talked I told her we need to talk seriously and take hard look at all this medication. She ended up removing a couple of pills that were not working she suggested a different insulin that had a better effect for a longer period of time over the day! The draw back however  to get the required amount of insulin it  would take a few weeks because it  may causes nausea, I told her was willing to try anything at this point. The second part was finding a good Natural Path who was not going to try and sell me all kinds of  stuff  I really did have. I did not have to go far in our church is a great couple who are our Chiropractors who also study naturel medicine. In the middle of February   2015 after the church service I had a long talk with them and it turns out his wife was leading a group cleans at the end of that month. I will never forget it Super bowl Sunday not a good day to start a cleanse!  What was this cleanse some are wondering simple stop eating, wheat, dairy, grains, starch.

I found out many things that was causing my bloating and ill health. So did I eat veggies sixty to seventy percent, protein,  sweet potato. We could have broth in between meals to help with our hunger first three weeks was veggies. This eating plan was different for each person because of my insulin issues I had protein in my diet, and some others  may have had something different it was made for that person needs.

So armed with this new plan in the first week of switching my meds and the new eating plan all my blood values started dropping immediately with in the first week I was having normal blood values. My body was trying to adjust so quickly it was a constant juggling of insulin testing adjusting. I also dealt with the new insulin believe me I suffered through February and March sometimes I was so sick I could not get out bed.  In April I went to see my doctor and she had just about fell out of chair! I lost 22lbs my blood values were perfected I dropped all my insulin by half and to date I am down 30lbs my blood pressure is down.

I spent the summer working on Jaws with a good friend who gave me good tools to be able to accomplish a lot of my work with Jaws, but mainly he reduced my stress and my fear of typing by listening and not by looking.  The most important was working with Lucky taking nice big long walks and these are walks that you need to make a good guide dog team.  it Is these long walks encountering different situations that make you great team. I can honestly state that there is nothing wrong with my cardio! I cycle four kilometers on my stationary bike and then take Lucky out for a good four or five kilometer walk and I also started strength training as well.

My last cardiologist appointment was excellent!  His  only comment to me was keep it up! I know one day we all lose the fight but I really prefer to kind of lose  fight more on my terms more later than sooner!

As I said to Arlene the other day

“I am winning the fight because I TRAIN”!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment