Wednesday 7 September 2011

Blog 12: September 6, 2011

The Eagle Has Landed, Mother Goose is watching!

I felt like I was in a two different movies today! The first one was Top Gun, Mother Goose (My Wife) felt it so necessary to drive me to the main bus terminal so I could catch the main bus into town. Although it was nice just sitting around waiting and taking my time to get ready to head into class. I was set to do it on my own. I realized it was not for me that I was doing this it was for her so she could feel somewhat comfortable with me going out without a guide dog. The other movie is the Eagles Dare. A crack team of commandos during World War Two attack the famous Eagles nest. Upon their arrival they  had called  headquarters to report. The code is The Eagle Has Landed! Needless to say when I arrived at school I had to call Mother Goose and tell her The Eagle Has Landed. These simple code words make it fun to call because if I didn’t have fun with it I would feel like I had to report to my mom instead of my wife. The other reason is that it keeps people around me guessing on who exactly I am speaking with.  
For the most part the walk was uneventful but long. I found myself counting streets and remembering the street names and let’s not forget how many times I could stab myself with the cane, and who can forget the  people  you walk into and they give you that look although I don’t see it I can feel it! The class is hard and a lot of reading and papers will need to be done, but this is exactly what I need to pull me out of the slump. I will have a chance to work with the new Jaws program and practice keyboard commands. At the end of the class I met a couple of friends from last semester, of course they asked about Jag’s after telling them the story it was somber but they had some good tales to tell when he would stand up yawn and stretch the professor would just stop and look at him. Jag’s new when class finished; he would get up and walk to me and lift my hand off the computer and the professor would say ok Mickey say’s “the class is over” we all would laughed.
On my walks I have entertained a thought of building a hidden camera in my jacket to record people when I am walking down the street, I think this a project that will happen sooner than later. All in all it wasn’t so bad this is the first day of the first step of training for the possibility of a new dog or the adjustment of not having one. Either way it’s the first step of moving forward.

1 comment:

  1. Haven't had Internet connections for a few weeks, and have some adventures of our own to share on T-Bone's blog!!!

    These are 2 of my all time favorite movies (and LOVED the book, 'Where Eagles Dare'. I will never think of Arlene other than Mother Goose!! Very Funny!! Hope all is going well-and you have started the application process!!! Onward!!

    Gini, Ron, and T-Bone!

    ReplyDelete